Photo - Canaan Project
BOARD LEADERSHIP PROGRAMME
BECOME A CHARITY LEADER
Charity Board Leadership Programme 2020
Would you like to use your skills and knowledge to support a charity as a voluntary board member but don’t know where to start? Do you want to ensure that when you join a charity board, you know how to work as a trustee to the best of your abilities?
The Charity Board Leadership Programme is for you
Work with charity sector experts to learn about effective charity governance, find a trustee role that’s perfect for you, with specialised support from application to interview. We are now open for applications for our 2020 programmes. Apply here.
Who this course is aimed at
This course is for aspiring trustees at all stages of their professional careers.
96% of trustees report that they have learned new skills through their trusteeship, 84% say that it made them happier and 22% said that they received a promotion as a direct result of their trusteeship.
Some of the candidates we support are looking to enhance their career progression by diversifying their skills and experience, others are wanting to use the pro bono route into a portfolio career, others are driven by a passionate belief in social change. All want to “give something back”.
By the end of the programme you will have:
• A better understanding of what it means to be an effective trustee;
• A clear idea of what kind of charity board position you are looking for (size and scope of charity, cause, location, your own development or profile);
• An understanding of how to find and research possible charities, including due diligence;
• A better idea of how to match your expertise with a charity’s challenges/needs;
• A cover letter suitable for trustee applications, and an understanding of how to “package” your skills and knowledge to be of interest to a charity;
• A redrafted CV, so that it is suitable for charity board applications;
• An idea of what to expect from a trustee interview and how to present your skills and experience effectively;
• An understanding of effective charity governance and constructive board behaviours, as well as informed reflections on how you personally can be an effective trustee.
The programme is designed so that you make applications to join charity boards during and in the months following the programme. You will need to have at least 3-6 hours outside of the sessions to make some of these applications.
Programme outline and dates
Session 1, The trustee landscape, your requirements and how to present your skills and experience
Session 2, Researching trustee vacancies and how to conduct your due diligence
Session 3, Charity board applications and what to expect from interview
Session 4, How to be an effective trustee
There are two remaining programmes running in 2020:
Cambridge, Spring/Summer 2020
Wednesdays 29th April, 6th May, 13th May, 24th June 2020
All 5.30-8.30pm in central Cambridge
London, Autumn 2020
Thursdays 24th September, 1st October, 8th October, 19th November
All 5.30-8.30pm in central London
You will also have access to up to three hours of one-to-one phone and email support for your applications for the duration of the course, for example, for Getting on Board to look at your draft cover letters.
The course will be delivered by Penny Wilson, CEO of Getting on Board, and other charity sector experts.
£1,870 per person. Our candidates often have their course fees paid for by their employer from professional development budgets. Payment must be made in full before the start of the course. 10% discount for people working in HR or responsible business/CSR.