Photo - Canaan Project
CHARITY BOARD LEADERSHIP PROGRAMME
BECOME A CHARITY LEADER
Charity Board Leadership Programme 2020
Do you want to give back to a cause you care about, gain new skills and build new connections? Becoming a charity trustee could be for you!
96% of trustees report that they learned new skills through their trusteeship
84% say becoming a trustee made them happier
22% said they received a promotion as a direct result of becoming a trustee.
There are countless reasons to become a trustee, but it can be difficult to know where to start. Getting on Board is here to help!
Our Charity Board Leadership Programme arms you with in-depth knowledge about the role of trustees. On the course, charity sector experts teach you how to be an effective trustee, share top tips on researching the right role and finding the perfect charity fit, and we offer one-to-one support crafting a winning application.
You'll leave the course with robust new competencies in identifying and applying for transformative trusteeships.
From application to interview, we’ve got your back. Packed full of interactive and engaging exercises, our online programme will take you from interested to expert in just four sessions.
Who is the Charity Board Leadership Programme for?
Whether you’re looking to supercharge your skills in governance, gain exposure to high-level decision-making, exercise new financial responsibilities, or simply try something new, becoming a trustee can be an amazing choice.
Some course participants are looking to enhance their career progression by gaining diverse new skills and experience. Others want a complete career change, or to express their passionate beliefs in social change. All want to “give something back”.
What will I learn?
The course will arm you with:
• A clear understanding of how to be an effective trustee;
• A vision of what kind of charity board position you are looking for (size and scope of charity, cause, location, how you want to develop)
• The skills to confidently find and research potential charities, including due diligence;
• A better idea of how to match your expertise with a charity’s challenges/needs;
• A cover letter suitable for trustee applications, and an understanding of how to “package” your skills and knowledge to be of interest to a charity;
• A redrafted CV, so that it is suitable for charity board applications;
• An idea of what to expect from a trustee interview and how to present your skills and experience effectively;
• An understanding of effective charity governance and constructive board behaviours, as well as informed reflections on how you personally can be an effective trustee.
During the programme, and in the months after it ends, you will apply to join real boards of real charities you’re passionate about. You will need to have at least 3-6 hours outside of the sessions to make some of these applications.
Session 1, The trustee landscape, your requirements and how to present your skills and experience
Session 2, Researching trustee vacancies and how to conduct your due diligence
Session 3, Charity board applications and what to expect from interview
Session 4, How to be an effective trustee
There are two remaining programmes running in 2020:
Thursdays 24th September, 1st October, 8th October, 19th November
All 5.30-8.30pm via Zoom
Deadline for applications: 7th September 2020
Thursdays 15th October, 22nd October, 5th November, 3rd December
All 5.30-8.30pm via Zoom
Deadline for applications: 28th September 2020
You will also have access to up to three hours of one-to-one phone and email support for your applications for the duration of the course, for example, for Getting on Board to look at your draft cover letters.
The course will be delivered by Penny Wilson, CEO of Getting on Board, and other charity sector experts.
£1,500 per person.
Our candidates often have their course fees paid for by their employer from professional development budgets. Payment must be made in full before the start of the course. 10% discount for people working in HR or responsible business/CSR.